Maryland Classic Youth Orchestra’s
Summer String Week 2021
Registration Opening Soon!
Deadline for Application & Video submission: June 1, 2021
Sr. Strings Week: July 6 to July 10, 2021 – Rising 6th to 8th graders
Jr. Strings Week: July 12 to July 16, 2021 – Rising 3rd to 5th graders
Classes will be scheduled during the day between 9:00AM-3:00PM
Summer Camp is open for Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass players
MCYO is excited to announce an in-person Summer Strings Week this summer! We will have a limited capacity and we will split it into two weeks to have more space to organize this year’s summer experience safely. All CDC guidelines will be followed such as limited students per square meter per room, all-time masking, temperature checks, social distancing, and any additional guidelines that are current in July.
Summer String Week will enhance students’ musicianship and technical ability. We will have a lower teacher-to-student ratio and limited enrollment to accommodate COVID-19 restrictions and protocols. The camp will include ensemble rehearsal with Maestro Jorge Orozco and our wonderful MCYO faculty. Musicians will also experience music history, theory, and composition through hands-on sessions. Students will also have performance and masterclass opportunities during camp week. Ensemble repertoire, as well as workshop content will be all new! Musicians from past summer camps are welcome back in 2021!
SUMMER CAMP INCLUDES:
· String ensemble rehearsals with maestro Jorge Orozco & sectionals with outstanding faculty
· Masterclasses and technique sessions
· Music writing and ear training in our fantastic composition lab
· Audition workshops and music history sessions
· Solo recital opportunities
***Students will be required to bring their own bagged lunch, each day. No refrigeration will be provided.
All content will differ from prior camp sessions. Musicians from past summer camps are welcome back in Summer Strings Week 2021!
SENIOR GROUP (students entering 6th – 8th grade)
· Participants must have taken private lessons for 4-5 years for Violins, 3-4 years for Viola & Cello, and 2 years for Bass.
· No separate audition is required for current MCYO musicians. Non-MCYO musicians will be asked to submit a video with their application. The video should include a solo piece of the student’s choice. It does not have to be a professional recording, a home recording is perfectly fine.
JUNIOR GROUP (students entering 3rd–5th grade)
· Participants must have taken private lessons for 2-3 years for violin and 2 years for viola, cello, and 1 year for bass.
· No audition is required, but musicians will be placed in ensembles according to their level.
· All musicians must be able to read music.
Questions? Feel free to email all your summer camp questions to firstname.lastname@example.org