Maryland Classic Youth Orchestra’s
Summer String Week 2022
Lutheran Church of St. Andrew (15300 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20905)
Sr. Strings Week: July 11 to July 15, 2022 – Rising 6th to 8th graders
Jr. Strings Week: July 11 to July 15, 2022 – Rising 3rd to 5th graders
For All-Star Strings Institute (ASSI) HS Program, please check this webpage.
Classes will be scheduled during the day between 9:00AM-3:00PM
Summer Camp is open for Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass players
Summer String Week will enhance students’ musicianship and technical ability. The camp will include ensemble rehearsal with Maestro Jorge Orozco and our wonderful MCYO faculty. Musicians will also experience music history, theory, and composition through hands-on sessions. Students will also have performance and masterclass opportunities during camp week. Ensemble repertoire, as well as workshop content will be all new! Musicians from past summer camps are welcome back in 2022!
SUMMER CAMP INCLUDES:
· String ensemble rehearsals with maestro Jorge Orozco & sectionals with outstanding faculty
· Masterclasses and technique sessions
· Music writing and ear training in our fantastic composition lab
· Audition workshops and music history sessions
***Students will be required to bring their own bagged lunch, each day. No refrigeration will be provided.
All content will differ from prior camp sessions. Musicians from past summer camps are welcome back in Summer Strings Week 2022!
SENIOR GROUP (students entering 6th – 8th grade)
· Participants must have taken private lessons for 4-5 years for Violins, 3-4 years for Viola & Cello, and 2 years for Bass.
· No separate audition is required for current MCYO musicians. Non-MCYO musicians will be asked to submit a video with their application. The video should include a solo piece of the student’s choice. It does not have to be a professional recording, a home recording is perfectly fine.
JUNIOR GROUP (students entering 3rd–5th grade)
· Participants must have taken private lessons for 2-3 years for violin and 2 years for viola, cello, and 1 year for bass.
· No audition is required, but musicians will be placed in ensembles according to their level.
· All musicians must be able to read music.
Questions? Feel free to email all your summer camp questions to firstname.lastname@example.org