Thank you for your interest in auditioning for the Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras of Strathmore!
Each season, all musicians (returning and new) must audition for the MCYO Orchestras. Our auditions take place mid-late August (1-2 weeks prior to the beginning of MCPS’ fall semester).
*We accept auditions from all standard orchestral instruments, including harp but NOT piano or saxophone.
Please be sure that your child can meet our MCYO eligibility requirements.
Each orchestra rehearses weekly throughout the school year on Wednesday (& some groups on Thursday) evenings (locations can be found here), and also receives regular sectional coaching by professional string, woodwind, brass, and percussion coaches.
- MCYO strongly encourages its musicians to participate in their school music programs. The daily ensemble experience greatly enhances our program.
- MCYO requires that all musicians take weekly private lessons on their orchestra instruments. It is essential that musicians receive this guidance throughout the entire season.
- Applicants with noted absence or disciplinary problems in past season(s) will require approval from the MCYO staff PRIOR TO being allowed to re-audition for MCYO programs. (Please contact the office if you have any questions regarding this)
- There is an annual tuition fee to be a part of MCYO. Need-based scholarships are available for musicians to help pay for MCYO tuition and/or private lessons fees
Audition Requirement Checklist
All students will be assessed based on their performance of:
- Prepared solo: This needs to be an ENTIRE piece or a movement (prepared in full) from a sonata/concerto/etude. Musicians will only be asked to play 2-5 minutes of their solo pending on the ensemble for which they are auditioning.
- Orchestral excerpts
- Scales: must be memorized (if required – please check individual ensemble requirements carefully)
- Sight reading (if required – please check individual ensemble requirements carefully)
Click here for Audition Registration for 2023-24 Season.