The MCYO Preparatory Strings is conducted by Maestro Orozco, with the help every week of violinist Jennifer Lee, violist Maria Montano and cellist Elizabeth Peterson. Preparatory Strings is a full string orchestra for young string players in grades 3 through 5.
The professional coaches teach, train and develop each section at each rehearsal and also perform with the group.
• Eligibility is for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade violin, viola, cello, and bass students.
• This class will receive entry-level orchestral training from MCYO conductor Jorge Orozco
• Preparatory Strings will focus on fundamental ensemble and orchestral performance training for students to help them prepare for the next level MCYO ensembles.
Audition Date: Audition Registrations will be the same process as any other orchestras, at this link.
Audition requirements for all applicants:
• Prerequisite of at least two year of private lessons prior to audition
• Solo of teacher’s choice: ASTA grade 2-3
• Scales: (and tonic arpeggio). Rhythm, tempo, and articulation up to private teachers.
- Students need to play two scales, one major and one minor. It can be ANY major and minor scale of choice. Both scales need to be TWO OCTAVE scales.
• Orchestral Excerpts: found on this page.
• NO SIGHT READING FOR PREP STRINGS
If you plan on auditioning for Chamber Strings, you do NOT need to do a separate audition for Preparatory Strings!