* Note: Flutists auditioning for orchestras can be considered for Flute Choir, you do not need to do a separate audition.
* If you are a rising eighth-grader who would like to be considered for BOTH Junior and Senior Flute Choirs, please prepare and record BOTH excerpts (Junior and Senior) plus the required scales for Senior Flute Choir in addition to ONE prepared solo.
Junior Flute Choir: School Grades 6-8
• 2-Octave Major scales up to 4 flats and 4 sharps (slurred sixteenth notes) and Arpeggio (tongued triplets), at quarter note = 80 to 92
• Chromatic Scale (chromatic scale should be at least 2 octaves) at quarter note=72 (even and controlled, NOT fast and rushed)
• Excerpts (Download):
-Excerpt 1: Allegretto Mosso (DQN=60 or EN=180): Emphasis on rhythm, articulation, and finger technique
-Excerpt 2: Saterjentesn Sondag (QN=60): Emphasis on tone, intonation, dynamics, phrasing, expression, and rhythm
• Prepared Solo – MBDA level 3-5:
Repertoire that best demonstrates the applicant’s highest current level of musical and technical abilities
• Sight Reading